Q: I use a CPAP machine. What if I have to travel?
A: It’s important to continue your CPAP treatment when travelling. Pacific Sleep Care has an authorized medical travel form available which will list the model and serial number of your CPAP machine and allow you to bring it with you on airlines without being classified as carry-on baggage. Remember to bring any electrical adapters you may need which are available in most travel stores. We also have smaller models available that are more compact for travelling as well as oral appliances that may also be helpful.
Q: What happens if I stop using my CPAP machine?
A: Sleep apnea is a condition that can be managed but not cured. If you discontinue your CPAP or BiPAP treatment your sleep apnea events will occur with the same frequency and intensity as they did before your treatment started. You may or may not experience temporary benefit from previous treatment.
Q: What sort of maintenance is required for a CPAP machine?
A: Your CPAP mask will require a daily cleaning with a more thorough cleaning once a week. Filters on the CPAP machine should be replaced every 3-4 months. An annual follow up appointment will include an inspection of your CPAP machine and a respiratory therapist may recommend replacing soft parts to ensure that your facial mask is providing the proper fit and functioning as it should be.
Q: Can’t I just buy a CPAP machine online?
A: CPAP machines are available for purchase online, however in cases of obstructive sleep apnea, the amount of airflow required to keep the upper airway open should be determined by a qualified respiratory therapist and based on your specific sleep apnea patterns. There are health risks associated with sleep apnea, and taking a generic or experimental approach to treatment is not recommended.
Q: What are the advantages of buying a CPAP machine from Pacific Sleep Care?
A: There are many advantages to choosing to work with Pacific Sleep Care:
- You can be assured that your sleep apnea condition is diagnosed, treated and monitored by qualified medical professionals.
- You have the benefit of trying various CPAP machine models and masks during a 30-day trial period to work with our respiratory therapist and optimize your sleep apnea treatment.
- Your CPAP machine is guaranteed, and you can bring it in to one of our Pacific Sleep Care locations if you have any problems.
- You don’t have to be without treatment if your machine needs servicing, as temporary exchanges are available. Within the warranty period, your machine will be shipped for servicing at no cost to you.
- You’re eligible to receive information for special savings on replacement parts and supplies.
- Your treatment is monitored with an annual review of your therapy either by analysis of your download card or overnight oximetry test.
Q: Do I need a doctor’s prescription to buy a CPAP machine?
A: Yes you do. If you believe that you are experiencing symptoms of sleep apnea, your doctor is the one who will authorize both sleep apnea testing as well as any required sleep apnea treatment. Pacific Sleep Care works with your family doctor to provide a medically supported diagnosis. You can take our online sleep test and have the results sent directly to your family doctor.
Q: What can I expect during my 30 day trial at Pacific Sleep Care?
A: At Pacific Sleep Care we pride ourselves on taking the most comprehensive approach to sleep care available on Vancouver Island. During your 30 day free trial you can expect:
- The loan of an Auto-PAP machine for diagnostic purposes
- At least two appointments with our Registered Respiratory Therapist
- Weekly follow up calls from our Client Coordinator
- At least one repeat oximetry test
- Data card download
- Written reports and letters for your family physician
- Mask exchanges as required
Q: Is MSP billed for any of the services provided by Pacific Sleep Care during the free trial?
A: No, Pacific Sleep Care provides these services at no cost because we believe that by providing successful sleep apnea treatments and building professional medically-supported relationships, clients will choose to purchase the equipment they need from us.
Q: What kind of guarantee does Pacific Sleep Care offer?
A: We offer a 90 day guarantee on CPAP mask satisfaction and a 30 day guarantee on CPAP mask parts. Within the warranty period, should your CPAP machine require servicing, we have replacement machines available to you and will handle the return with the manufacturer including shipping costs.
Q: What are the qualifications of the person treating me?
A: Pacific Sleep Care ensures that your care is managed by a trained Registered Respiratory Therapist who is trained in sleep and supervised by our medical director. Some Island CPAP providers do not use Registered Respiratory Therapists to care for you.